Sawari Ventures holds final close for Egypt fund

Image Credit: Pixabay

After landing another $28 million in commitments from a group of local LPs, Sawari Ventures has wrapped up fundraising for its Egypt fund which now has a total of $69 million to make investments in Egyptian startups. Among this final group of LPs are Misr Insurance, Ekuity, the National Bank of Egypt, Banque Misr, Banque du Caire, and the Suez Canal Bank who join European DFIs such as CDC, EIB, FMO, and Proparco, all of which committed to earlier closes, on the fund’s roster of LPs.

The newly-closed fund’s strategy is to make seed through growth capital investments in Egyptian startups. Sawari’s co-founder and managing partner Hany Al-Sonbaty told industry publication MENAbytes that 10% of the fund’s capital will be reserved for seed investments, which will be invested through the venture firm’s Flat6Labs entities. The remaining 90% will be invested in growth capital opportunities with a median investment size of between $2 million and $3 million.

To read this article, you must be a paid subscription member. (Current members login here)

\"\"

Reserve your digital subscription today

Join now for $35 per month

Join now for $395 per year

for access to:

  • Weekly newsletter with original and curated news, analysis and perspective
  • Africa’s private capital deals, fund raises and the investment firms and executives involved
  • Portfolio company news that impacts value and stakeholder participation
  • Job moves and partnerships between leading market participants
  • Exclusive access to Africa Capital Digest’s full content archive

If you’d like more information on exceptional value group subscriptions for your colleagues and teams, please contact Teresa Hall at thall[at]africacapitaldigest.com today.